Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012, 0 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS MARCH 2012
perke_patch wrote:
Hi. we had a lovely sunny day here this morning although a bit cool at first. But around lunch time the wind picked up. we were worried about the split tree next door which was swaying so much in the wind we thought it was going to split completely and fall on the shadecloth above Johnny's vriseas. We didn't want that so we bit the bullet and took the chainsaw over to cut it down before the wind could do it. What a job. I had to be on the end of the rope as Johnny cut the fist branch. I felt the weight let go so I thought the branch was coming towards me until a sudden gust of wind had it pulling back the other way. I really thought I was going to lose it the other way but just then the wind died again and back it came towards me. I just had to jump back out of the way for it to land in front of me. My hands will never be the same again. Rope burns are not nice. Anyhow after 2 loads to the dump we now have lovely sunshine in the vrisea area. However the clouds came over this afternoon so we weren't able to really judge the level of sun now. Will see tomorrow.

Nev tomorrow I will take a pic of a couple of hula girls up the back. One lot was planted up into 8inch pots while another lot are in 6inch pots. I will put them together in a pic to show the different sizes achieved.

I have been waiting for a tillandsia I have coming into flower. It is labelled as till. whiskey but I can't find any till or silver vrisea with a name of whiskey. I wanted to post the pic of the flower but today I discovered that something has bitten the top completely off the infloresence. wonder how long it will take to raise a new one to infloresence stage so I can get an ID. If anyone has heard of a till called whiskey please let me know. It looks very much like a fasiculata but a large one with thin leaves not the fatter ons.

Must see if FB is working yet. it has been freezing on me all night.
Pic is aechmea shining light. we have one of these in flower on the sales table for this weekend.

Wendy