Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Daylilies: Record warm Spring, 0 by weedyseedy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weedyseedy

Subject: Record warm Spring

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Record warm Spring
weedyseedy wrote:
Well, joggers and golfers love it, skiers have been bitter all winter, but in central New York we have had record high temperatures and record lack of snow. I don't yet know how it's going to effect my garden. Snow drops, iris reticulata, crocus are in bloom and my primary concern, daylilies, seedlings and clumps are shooting up as high as six inches. Three year seedlings that might bloom if I'm lucky, but they need moving and spacing have me wondering----will it stay warm and everything will bloom early or will we get a freeze in April? Will there be Spring Sickness if we get a cold snap? I was going to try to learn an practice more propagation this year as I have clumps of daylilies, asters, helenium, (sp?) echinacea, and heaven knows what out in the brush that I can work with but I'm not yet sure at what point to dig this stuff----I remember calling a daylily place and a gal telling me she thought digging too early set them back' but I'm not certain there is a perfect time to dig. I figure if I can cull some of my crowded two year seedling rows and leave the strongest plants, they may bloom, and I am getting anxious to see these close to rosea flowers--I'm 75, how many years can I wait? Of course I had to get bow-sawing a tree off of my vain attempt at a perennial border yesterday so now I will have to hit my MD's office as I can't move-blasted foot thick stupid log! Well I have a few of the seedling roseas in photos but I just want lots of 'em.! --------------------------------------------------------Weedy