Photo by Melody

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: New Year resolutions (in the garden) what are yours?, 0 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: New Year resolutions (in the garden) what are yours?

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of New Year resolutions (in the garden) what are yours?
Gitagal wrote:
Not to be a spoilsport-----BUT--I will be!

I do not make resolutions of any kind....NEVER!....It just adds another level of "must do" to my life.
My life is full of "musts" and "shoulds" as I have grown older--and my energy levels have decreased.
it can become a burden.

IF I make promises to myself (resolutions) and then do not have time, or I do not fee like doing it---I feel like I have,
somehow, failed. I do not like feeling that I have failed. I am like the Energizer Bunny......go...go...go...
but, I can only go...go...go..that far. Then I want to rest and do something else---more relaxing....

I have reached that stage in my life where just sitting and watching TV, as I knit or do something
creative, is all that satisfies me.
Of course--the "musts" and "shoulds" never goes away. They always hang over my head and bother me.

I KNOW that I will never achieve all the things I want to finish and accomplish before I am "gone".
That saddens me a lot......as all the things I have created, but not finished, no one else can finish.
They are all MINE! Made out of my mind and creation. And--they are lots and lots of craft projects...

This lays heavy on my mind--every single day. Yet--I have all this free time--and I sit here on DG---or I sit in my
kitchen and do this and that--or--cooking something seems to be the best excuse for me not to do anything else....

All I can say is that, as you get "up there" in age--(I will be 75 in a couple of weeks) doing what relaxes you takes priority.
Having to do what you MUST do--seems so easily avoidable--if you find the right excuse....just create another "priority".....

I am a person that never breaks promises. IF I say I will do something--I will do it.
This also means "promises" I make to myself (resolutions). SO! I don't do it!!!

Life is too short to stress out about "shoulds". Just do what you enjoy doing----the rest will fall into line sooner or later.

Ahhhh.....It felt so good to put all this in writing. Gita