Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Fruits and Nuts: pollinating plums, 0 by pbyrley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pbyrley

In reply to: pollinating plums

Forum: Fruits and Nuts

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of pollinating plums
pbyrley wrote:
When I was growing up in Augusta, GA (many years ago) my friends and I found many wild plums (and we knew when they got ripe too). You could ask an old timer around Barnesville where y ou can find wild plums, then go dig up a couple .... but.. , do you really care at this point?

I'm about ready to saw down my Methley plum (never blooms at all) and my 2 apple trees - also don't bloom. I suggest you get a Celeste fig tree (first choice) Brown turkey is just ok. Be selective - to me and many other people, Celeste is clearly the best tasting fig and will definitely grow in Barnesville. You can buy them at Home Depot in the Spring or just mail order one. They grow fast.
I have four different kinds of figs in my yard that I really don't like so much -my dog loves them all though.

(Strawberries, thornless blackberries and blueberries are nice and easy.)

My Figs have no bug pests, no pollination req'd at all, they just need full sun and some mulch over a 3 foot circle; that's all!

I wrote a fairly long thread starter on my figs in Fruits and Nuts.