Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Orchids: Cool October Orchids, 0 by MaypopLaurel

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MaypopLaurel

In reply to: Cool October Orchids

Forum: Orchids

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Cool October Orchids
MaypopLaurel wrote:
Dyzzy, I think bringing the orchids in when it's cold is a very good idea unless you look at them as disposable landscaping.

Ted, you seem to be well on your way with collecting. You've posted lots of pretty pics.

Scott, I know my orchids are not always the "show and tell" kinds that the rest of you grow but there's a good reason I grow quirky little aliens. Not sure what it is but there is a good reason. Joking aside, the reason is because many of the orchids I grow are coming from places being deforested and slash and burn clearing is common to create new agricultural land. The governments in these countries often will not let orchid growers or orchid organizations rescue plants before they destroy their habitats. Some day it is entirely possible that you will only see these in private collections. The few plants that are allowed out for export are being cloned by a very select group of folks trying to preserve orchid species for posterity.

Etelka, glad you are enjoying the orchid forum. Some lucky folks here do get to grow their orchids outside. Mine only go outside for summer camp.

Jim, the enclosure is looking great. I've been meaning to show you the progress on your gift from last November, Acampe papillosa...