Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, July 2011, 0 by weed_woman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weed_woman

In reply to: Bromeliads for novices and addicts, July 2011

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bromeliads for novices and addicts, July 2011
weed_woman wrote:
too right, Bree, whos up for the challenge? And don't forget the picture!
Bree, probably Vriesea 'Red chestnut' and it looks gorgeous.
Honolulu beauty is a good name for that plant Wendy, although i 'Think' it was hybridised in Australia by John Buchanan? He used to operate from Wardell, but I guess, Wardell beauty doesn't sound as exotic? Its a lovely big plant, and I know, much better in real life!
Karen, Brees spot on about the import permit and expense, aswell as not many of the plants survive, due to the quarantine measures, such as spraying with methyl bromide. You also need to have somewhere to house them during quarantine and have inspectors check them, blah, blah blah. But, people like 'The Olive Branch' do import plants, so if you are really keen, they would be the people to ask about it. I'm sure there are other brom/till importers out there too, but thats just one off the top of my head.
Nev, just slice some fresh ginger root into a coffee plunger, top with boiling water, steep for 5 minutes then have yourself a mugful. You can add honey, but I like it straight. Have it as strong or as weak as you like, and you can always add more hot water to the plunger to freshen it up for another cup. As for the pineapple, just keep some fresh, cut slices in the fridge and graze on it a couple of times a day (also good for those with a sweet tooth, as its much healthier than biscuits and cakes) I've tried the glaucosamine, dolomite, and fish/flax oil tabs, but have trouble getting into a routine taking them. Pam, I've been using rapid gel for a couple of years, only when the pian is bad, as I have heard some negative remarks about it, so figure if I only use it sparingly I might not do too much damage if the rumours are true. i follow up a smear of rapid gle with a heated wheat pack, great for when you sit at the computer!
I didn't find anything too exciting at the local markets on the weekend. Ther is one seller with her own, grown plants, but she doesn't have anything I don't already, and the other brom sellers are mostly selling reject wholesale nursery stock, for half the price of Bunnings or Big W. Nice for an indoor plant or a shady spot in the garden, but I really don't need anymore.
This one is blooming at the moment. Aechmea weilbachii. Has anyone seen the pundulous form? i think you have it, don't you Wendy?
Sue