Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropicals & Tender Perennials: Tropical Gardens and Plants #106, 0 by dyzzypyxxy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dyzzypyxxy

In reply to: Tropical Gardens and Plants #106

Forum: Tropicals & Tender Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Tropical Gardens and Plants #106
dyzzypyxxy wrote:
JMHO, Deb, but I think the a/c might not be great for your palms. They're going to think it's winter if you take them indoors, into cool temps and dry air. Down here, palms stand up all day to the blazing Florida sun and killer humidity. It may not be as hot on the thermometer here, but our sun is more intense than yours because it's straight overhead. Plus the 'weather liars' as Alice likes to call them, tell us "the feels-like temp today was 110".

Don't forget, not all tropical plants are 'understory' plants like the orchids, philos and (maybe?) aroids. Lots of plants grow all day in the full sun here and thrive. In Hawaii I saw Brugs 12ft. tall and 15ft. wide blooming their hearts out in the full sun.

Hey, I had an idea to help Joe with the mowing headache under the pear tree - spread some wood-chip mulch all over the shady area under the tree where you have your potted plants. Not only will it keep the grass from growing under there, it will also help the pear tree keep its roots cooler and hold in moisture (as opposed to the grass that's actually stealing water from the tree. Down here we never grow grass under fruit trees for that reason.

Here are my little pygmy date palms at the end of our driveway - newly planted about 2 months ago. In full, blazing sun all day except in winter when the big oaks across the street shade them.