Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: You all are giving me the desire, 0 by lindenlady

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lindenlady

Subject: You all are giving me the desire

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of You all are giving me the desire
lindenlady wrote:
to start all over again with growing Iris. I had all but given up on growing iris after a horrible incident involving a couple that purchased the farm that we had. We had built a smaller home on a smaller piece of acreage. (Went from 2500 sf on 99 acres to 1600 sf on 7 acres.) We prepared a new bed for our collection of named iris and had an oral agreement with the new owners of our farm that we had several months to go back and removed any of the iris that we wanted. We had over 1000 different Iris and all were named and tagged. We returned in less than 3 weeks only to find that they had been all plowed under. To say the least, it made me wish to hurt someone...but I somehow lost the desire to grow iris again. I did manage to save a hybrid that was from my grandmom and one other named Iris, "Roman Lover". But those I had potted up before we moved. The only satisfaction that I got from that entire debacle was that we ended up forclosing on them after they failed to make payments. My health deteriorated for a bit, but now I am doing very well and have beat the odds and am now looking forward to starting a new iris garden. My dear husband and I will be going to lots of Iris Sales and swap meets this summer to see if we can get a good start on a new Iris Bed. Thank you for giving me a push in the right direction and making the ol juices flow again lusting for these lovelies.

Here is a photo of my "Roman Lover".

A big Hug to you all.