Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Vines and Climbers: Wisteria question! I need help!, 0 by Clare_CA

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Clare_CA

In reply to: Wisteria question! I need help!

Forum: Vines and Climbers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Wisteria question!  I need help!
Clare_CA wrote:
Sharon, LOL! Yes, you must have planted wisterias to represent you and your husband! Those two colors will be pretty together. I have a Wisteria sinensis "Cooke's Purple" and a Wisteria floribunda "Honibeni" (pink) growing together over the metal arch in the picture below. They are actually both trained as standards and are growing in containers.

Those round flowers are definitely different-looking. Yes, I thing cross-pollination can occur -- by bees, I think -- between the two different wisterias. The result will be a hybrid of unique unknown color.

I'm glad that I was able to help you identify your Wisteria. I too have heard that American Wisteria is easier to control, and it's great that it flowers on old wood and new wood. Here is what Peter Valder says about "Amethyst Falls":

"A selected form found in Oconee County, South Carolina. There is a plant in the Arboretum of the North Carolina State University at Raleigh."

It sounds like your landscaper picked a winner!