Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Question about nomenclature, 0 by zenmom

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright zenmom

Subject: Question about nomenclature

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Question about nomenclature
zenmom wrote:
I'm trying to come up with the correct botanical name for my dwarf iris. After some internet research, it's clear to me that it fall in the category of SDB (Standard Dwarf Bearded) iris, but I can't figure out what the latin name would look like. What would the species be? It looks as though several different species have figured into the development over the years. Anyone know the proper way to describe this?

Also, I read a post earlier today that was chiding some forum members for suggesting variety names to people who post photos of NOIDs. I understand that there are many, many varieties, some of them similar to each other, and that without a proper chain of "provenance" (or DNA matching) it is impossible to say for sure. But I have plants that are passalongs, and plants that originally were labeled but the labels have become faded or lost. It is helpful to me if someone says "that looks similar to..." or "that resembles...". If I traded the plant, I would certainly keep the disclaimer in the description, and not state categorically that it IS a particular variety. When more experienced iris growers share their guesses, it helps educate the less experienced like me. Just my 2 cents' worth.

Thanks in advance for any help in the nomenclature stuff.

M.

P.S. The picture is my SDB iris that lost its tag over the years... from Long's Gardens originally, but currently nameless. Cute, anyway!