Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Melanie's Back, 0 by mellielong

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mellielong

In reply to: Melanie's Back

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Melanie's Back
mellielong wrote:
Dad saw a moth in the cemetery so I took a picture. It's an Eight Spotted Forrester Moth according to BAMONA. It had never been reported in the county so I was happy to have added it. A lot of smaller, rural counties don't have reports for butterflies that you just know have to be there so I think it's important to report those sightings. I visit my ancestor's cemeteries over in Johnson County, KY and I saw on BAMONA there were reports for only 19 butterflies (not a lot of lepidopterists, I guess) so I sent in a few of my own. I mean, they didn't even have the Spicebush Swallowtail listed and I knew I had a picture of one of those. There was a lady at the foot of the hill where the family cemetery is and she had let her garden "go native" - it had all this echinacea and was covered in Silver Spotted Skippers and Great Spangled Fritillaries. Saw my first Hackberry Emperor at her place, too. But nobody will know unless you rat those butterflies out, LOL! Just think of the butterfly guidebooks you buy - they also depend on reports of sightings to be more accurate as far as range and what butterflies you might see (or not) in your area. Ok, here's my moth.