Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Poll on fence style, 0 by Pamgarden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pamgarden

Subject: Poll on fence style

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Poll on fence style
Pamgarden wrote:
I don't know quite where to post this subject, landscaping, homesteading? After talking about a fence for three years, we are ready to have one installed, either three-board or four-board post and board fence, which will be stained dark (by us).

We are laboring over our decision as to which we should get, considering the following:

1. Our first consideration is the aesthetics. We like the look of those almost-black wood fences as opposed to white, which looks like more maintenance.
2. We don't have any livestock, but what if we got those sheep I've talked about?
3. Three-board look easier to mow under because you can get (not easily though) the mowing deck under the lowest board.
4. What do people do to keep grass from growing up all around and under the fence? Do they put something down, like weed killer?
I see many beautiful three and four-board fences, and we've just gone back and forth about this. If any of you have an opinion (or have a particular wood fence) could you comment, please.

We thought about post and rail, but I don't see much of it out here. It seems to have more of a residential appeal than country look.

The picture shown here is of an unpainted or stained four board fence provided by a fence installer, not our house.