Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Orchids: April's Spring Orchids, 0 by PinetopPlanter

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright PinetopPlanter

In reply to: April's Spring Orchids

Forum: Orchids

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of April's Spring Orchids
PinetopPlanter wrote:
Maypop, reading your planting list made me HUNGRY! Lots of variety! We're trying 'bull's blood" beets this year. They are supposed to have nice red beet greens in addition to good-tasting beets. I'll be planting them, and a whole lot more, in about two weeks . . .

Jim, I love the photo of oncidium psychopsis "floating like a butterfly in the trees." They DO look like butterflies! I want to try my hand at that plant, but Maypop's comment about having no luck with them scares me!

Maypop, Epilaelia Little Nuggets 'Mendenhall' HCC/AOS is REALLY pretty! I've never heard of or seen that one. What a sweet flower. And I love those ascocentrums, too. I always wanted to try miniatum, but seeing them in those baskets with no media, roots all exposed made me nervous . . . at least about growing them in the apartment. I think it's enough for me to fathom my tolumnia growing with barely 5 little chips of bark in a clay pot . . . but it does indeed grow!

I recently succumbed to the temptation of a compact cat. C. Janice Evans 'Sweet Sixteen'. I bought it from Silva Orchids at our farmer's market here in NYC a few weeks ago. Had 4 developing buds, which just opened on what was a warm and beautiful Easter Sunday. Very slight fragrance. Nice, sized plant, about half the size of the big guys.

I just had to ammend this. The fragrance on this is INCREDIBLE. It took over three days to develop, but once it did . . . wow. Two rooms away you could notice it, but it was not annoying. It was wonderful!

This message was edited May 16, 2011 2:03 PM