Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Annuals: snapdragon culture, 0 by amorecuore

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright amorecuore

In reply to: snapdragon culture

Forum: Annuals

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of snapdragon culture
amorecuore wrote:
I grow the taller varieties of Snapdragons every year from seed. I've found a higher germination rate from refrigerating the seed. For that reason all seed packs immediately go into a ziploc bag in the refrigerator. Even with 2 year old refrigerated snapdragon seeds the germination has been good.

In South Florida we start the seeds very early in the fall outside. It's too hot earlier than that to start them outside. I will start them a little early inside the house to get a jump start. This is going to sound weird, but I start mine inside the house under a low hanging kitchen light or table lamp. I'l leave it on for about 14 hours a day. The seeds are surface sewn and bottom watered for a minute or two in a large plastic pot saucer (picture below). Remove the containers, empty out the excess water and put the containers under the light in something that won't mess up the tables (you can even use the plastic saucer you just watered them in). All the containers will have germination in 7-10 days. You don't want to keep them under this "fake" light source for too long. I've had no problems keeping them there for a week or two after germination and then getting them outside into some real sunlight. Usually I acclimate them in half day sun for a few days before full sun outside. I'm sure this process can be used, and will work, if you want to give them a jump start in the spring.

Jon