Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Annuals: Really Nuts for Petunias, 0 by hellnzn11

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright hellnzn11

In reply to: Really Nuts for Petunias

Forum: Annuals

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Really Nuts for Petunias
hellnzn11 wrote:
NO, they are not fragile and bloom in 7 to 10 days if it is warm enough. I Started mine outside most years in old water bottles and keep them outside. They don't start that soon for me, because in the high desert it is cold in the nights. I started so eary that it would not germinate. I put them in a sunny window inside and they started leafing out right off. I grow the wave petunias from seed every year now. I love them and they spread like mad.

If you start them inside then put some drops of peroxide mixed with chamomile tea that you boiled and cooled off, to prevent it from damping off. You also have to put them outside little by little until they can stand the shock of the outside temps, hot or cool variances.

I would sow them and put them in Soda or water bottles or styrophome cups with lids and put them in your basement window unless it is always heated or just put them out in a carboard box to help insulate the containers and keep them in a sunny spot. Add some WaterSorb crystals to the mix so they don't dry out when it gets hot. they will grow fast. If you have them out in the cold they won't need to adjust when you plant them.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2011 7:25 PM