Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Iris Seed Germinating, 0 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: Iris Seed Germinating

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Iris Seed Germinating
wrote:
Hi Dee, Glad you are recovering. I too had surgery early spring which really set me back.

Anyway, you know from another post (if you remember) that I had a problem putting the pollen in the right spot so lost many chances. By the time I figured it out, the Irises I wanted to use was past. I forgot that pollen can be saved. Also discovered that I had to make crosses early in the morning before going to work.

Glad to report that those pods (from summer 2009) produced more seeds than I had space for this year. One pot produced more than 30 seeds in a large pod. That cross was Lacy Snowflake x Can Can Red. Another cross was Buffawn x Joyce Terry. Both, I believe historic. Those crosses were planted in a plastic shoebox, as I explained above. This past spring I was in a hurry for them to sprout so brought a box in April 28. and placed it under plant lights. Surprisingly, they began to sprout May 3. These are the plants that are now in my coldframe. I belive they sprouted so quickly because they got a long dose of flunctuating Wyoming freezing weather.

lovelyiris, I finally figured out how to do it by Google the information. There are some very good ones that illustrate the process.

Below are the seeds produced by pod parent Lacy Snowflake.

This message was edited Dec 19, 2010 10:58 AM