Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Morning Glories: Becky's Garden - Fall 2010, 0 by beckygardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright beckygardener

In reply to: Becky's Garden - Fall 2010

Forum: Morning Glories

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Becky's Garden - Fall 2010
beckygardener wrote:
I have a resident Red-shouldered Hawk (possibly a mating pair) that lives within a few residential lots from me. I hear and see a hawk flying the skies above me all the time. I have also photographed this bird sitting on the very top of my bird feeder. Well, today I walked outside to fill the feeder and squirrel dishes and saw the Hawk sitting on the top of my 6' privacy fence. I suspect this bird was waiting for breakfast ... squirrels or doves. :-(

I want to move the feeder away from the picket fence as the squirrels jump from that fence into the upper bird feeder. I want to protect the birds that come to the feeder and the squirrels as much as possible from being easy pickings for the hawk(s). I feel like I am setting them up for easy pickings for this Hawk to nab them where the feeder is currently located. I plan to move the wooden raised bed, post, and bird feeder further to the back south corner sometime in the very near future. There are more trees and brush there that they can dart into to get away from the hawk.

Here is a photo of the Hawk sitting on my fence just to the east of my bird feeder. This was taken earlier this morning. Beautiful bird, but I hope to give the other birds and the squirrels a fighting chance of survival at the feeder since this predator is hunting them.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2010 8:19 AM