Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: How to propogate perennial dianthus?, 0 by Michael_Ronayne

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Michael_Ronayne

In reply to: How to propogate perennial dianthus?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of How to propogate perennial dianthus?
Michael_Ronayne wrote:
At the end of last spring 2010, I purchased a pot of mixed colors Carnations at a closeout sale. Of interest were two white Carnations, one with a single row of petals and the other with a double row of petals. The different colors were separated and the two white Carnations put into separate pots and the unwanted colors planted into my garden. None of the Carnations had any seed pods so I know I was dealing with the Carnation pollen sterility gene which I have discussed previously.

All through the summer the stalks were too stiff to attempt layering without breaking them. By the end of August the old growth was dying-off and the new growth was soft and flexible. I fashioned 2.5” long by 0.5” wide staples from old lightweight hangers, of the type one obtains from the cleaners, and used the staples to pin the new growth into depressions in the soil of the pot which was then backfilled. When the original Carnation stopped producing new grown I covered each pot with an additional inch of soil. Attached is a picture of one of the pots with two unused staples displayed for size comparison. The new satellite Carnations are doing well and will be protected during the coming winter. The second pot was so full of new Carnations that it was difficult to see the individual plants.

One unnamed Dianthus which may have been in my family for 70 years produced soft stems throughout the growing season and the propagation rate was unbelievable. I will post pictures when I get a chance.

Mike

This message was edited Nov 18, 2010 7:12 AM