Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: September Blooms, 0 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: September Blooms

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of September Blooms
Gitagal wrote:
David--

I have not seen "Leaf Gro" at my HD for a few years....That was always something I recommended to people that were planting trees and shrubs...
Not saying it is NOT carried by other HD's--but our store is fairly low-volume--so we don't have all the products the bigger stores have....That's a shame! Leaf Gro is a good product.

Thanks for the advice on the coffee grinds....will add some to my composter as I go....
I can always get more from the 7 Eleven here...1/2 mile from my house. They just let me take the whole trash bag out of the trash container--and then i sort out what's what when i get it home....Pretty yukky job--but I don't care.

I did put a good amount of coffee grinds on my "Bob Hope" Camellia.
Do you remember the picture i posted where I cut it down to 12"-14" nubs? The WHOLE shrub--GONE! It was time to do something drastic.....as it was not well for the last 3 years...
Mike Quinn in GA is my "Guiding Light" when it comes to Camellias....I trust his advice!
2 years ago--I sent him a box-full of Camellia tip cuttings and made him "The Happiest man on Earth...."
This Summer, I sent him the tip cuttings off of my KK Hibiscus (after the first bloom, I cut it back and it blooms again). He is rooting these also. He KNOWS how to do all that!!!

My Camellia is re-growing very nicely....nice shiny leaves...The Winter will tell if it has something going on with the roots, as the Winter was when it had all kinds of yukky leaf problems...They lookes so fungusy--but Mike had a camellia expert look at them and he thought it was weather related.....I kind of disagree--as it has had this same leaf problem for the last 3 Winters....The weather sure has not been the same!
Cant take a picture if the re-growing shrub yet--as i have all kinds of annuals in front of it...Will after I clean those out...

Since I emptied my S.E.M. (Stupid Earth Machine) composter this Summer (after FOUR years of throwing stuff in there--can you believe that?) I am now starting from scratch again. Fill...Fill...

David--You cannot imagine the amount of veggies (mostly carrots and leafy things) and fruits (mostly melons and grapes) I consume! I have a shoe-box sized plastic container next to my dish drainer which is next to my kitchen sink...DAH! WHAT!!!! Did you think it would be in my DR????
All these rinds and trimmings go in there...and I can fill that thing up at least once a week.
IF I am cooking soup--God help me! I will fill that thing in one day! This all goes in my S.E.M.

Not doing so good on the Carbon part.....mostly fresh stuff....
I have never tried shredding newspapers...I guess i could? I could rake up a few fallen, dried leaves already--that would work....I have a trash bag full of straw that should be semi-composted by now. Could add that!

Raked it off the grass seeding BG&E did after digging up most of my curb strip to pull in Fios cables...
Crap! That's all they did to fix it up! They dug DEEP--and brought up a lot of sub-soil and small rocks...
Now all that is on the surface!

The grass that grew from the seed they uses is all gone! Must have been pure Fescue.....I don't care for that....it burns up in this kind of heat. Then they dumped enough straw over everything to bury China....I raked most of it up and saved it....it will come handy--one way or another.....Used it as mulch on my Tomatoes--for one....

Put down 2 rolls of sod today to try and repair the damage.....Ran a bit short--but I hope it looks better anyway.
Have a lot of work to do on my lawn next Spring......Getting too much Clover and Crab Grass everywhere.
The Clover is REALLY taking over! It seems innocuous--but it is sooooo invasive!

Sorry that I have SO abused the "September Blooms" Thread....but--so it goes.....
I guess I should post a picture of a September Bloom......HUH?

Gita