Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Bird Watching: "On the Waterfront" - Vol. #7, 0 by linthicum

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright linthicum

In reply to: "On the Waterfront" - Vol. #7

Forum: Bird Watching

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of "On the Waterfront" - Vol. #7
linthicum wrote:
Thanks, everyone ...... Bombay Hook is a great place for shorebirds. It's also an excellent location for wintering and migrating Snow Geese.

Obviously, I am not a very good birder or my eyesight is really bad. As I mentioned earlier, I visited Bombay Hook yesterday. Last night, I checked E-bird to see what some birders recorded. I didn't see anywhere near the numbers that were recorded. Of course, again, it could have been the time of day but I've always found mornings to be the best. One side of the roadway is fresh water and the other side is salt water. The roadway serves somewhat as a dam.

One will also see songbirds if they walk the trails but I hang out along the roadway looking for waterbirds. Most experienced bird photographers hang a material somewhat like cheese cloth over the driver's side window to keep the insects out of the car. They can then push their camera/lens through the material to take photos without being eaten alive.

Here is a photo of a male Blue Grosbeak taken from the car window while visiting there.