Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: losing pines, need suggestions, 0 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: losing pines, need suggestions

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of losing pines, need suggestions
shortleaf wrote:
Baldcypress is one of my favorite big trees. They live to be around a thousand years old!
One of my favorites is this great big one in Mount Washington Cemetery. I know you know that place too, here in West Independence!
My stepMom has a pretty big Scots Pine over her driveway and her porch. The birds really like that tree and are always in it. I think some nest in it too. She says theres always bird doo and pine-cones all over everything! She can't cut it down because she is in a mobile home park and doesn't own the lot.
In my experience just of seeing Scots Pine trees around that are turning brown, they usually get more brown and with Pine Wilt Disease I don't believe there is any recovery.
I think the average with that is 2 years or so and the tree is completely brown and dead. I hope yours have something else. It may not even be Scots Pine. Scots Pine was a popular Christmas tree, it might still be in some places. The needles are so short and rigid, not sure if I'd want that tree in MY house at Christmas-time! That neighbor with the Christmas tree farm could have attracted an infestation of the beetles, if she/he didn't remove them fast after, they coulda spread from dead trees too. I don't think a half mile is very far for the nasty borers.
I hope you can get those photos, Resin is very helpful. He has helped me too alot over the years.
Wanna see some big honking Scots Pine trees? I took this photo below (in another post) just outside of the Arbor Day Farm place years ago. Resin helped me identify them back then, I was thinking initially they were Austrian Pine trees.
Will
Will