Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Beginner Gardening: The Lasagna Garden Brigade # 3, 0 by Dirt_Lover

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Dirt_Lover

In reply to: The Lasagna Garden Brigade # 3

Forum: Beginner Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of The Lasagna Garden Brigade # 3
Dirt_Lover wrote:
My husband and I started lasagna gardening last fall after I read about it somewhere. I think he thought I was a bit crazy at first but when I explained the concept and the fact that earthworms LOVE newspaper and help in the process he built a compost bin and we started covering our yard. He liked the fact he didn't have to till and his mowing would be greatly decreased. We weren't able to grow grass anyway, just weeds, because of our clay soil and too many trees. So we cut a couple of trees down and started layering. We use all the leaves from our trees and we're spreading some chicken manure over all of the beds this weekend. This is a picture of just one of them, they will eventually all join with paths between and cover most of our front yard. I'm not satisfied with the number of layers yet and found some spots with grass growing where our "helpers" aka grandsons didn't put the newspaper down properly so I'm holding off until the fall. They should be good and ready by then. Also bought some "super red wigglers" and put a couple of colonies down in each bed to help the process. Did some wintersowing and had good results from hollyhocks, dianthus, tomatoes and pink malvas. The process is so fun and it's so interesting to learn from all of you. Didn't know we weren't supposed to put citrus in the compost until I read it here...can you explain why not? I will post another picture when we plant in the beds. Thank you all for sharing your experiences!