Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Help me pick 6 iris , 0 by Badgertalk

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Badgertalk

In reply to: Help me pick 6 iris

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Help me pick 6 iris
Badgertalk wrote:
I want to thank folks for their suggestions.

Most of my yard has been turned into gardens but this area has been a problem area. I live on top of a hill with no trees so the sun is intense. On Easter Sunday 2007, we had a hard freeze - 23 degrees- that killed all kinds of things. There are winters here that never get to 23 degrees. Then, that summer, we had one of the worst droughts on record. You can imagine what my garden looked like at the end of that summer.

This year I was working away at getting this area fixed up after these two back to back natural disasters. I got a large gazebo type structure off of Craigslist and covered it with shade cloth to give everything a little break from the sun this summer.

So, two days after I get everything in, we have 15 inches of rain. I don’t want to complain because I just had some garden damage while other people lost their homes and a few even lost their lives. I live in one of the more flooded parts of the city but because I live on a hill, the main problem I had was no electricity for five days and things getting washed out. The water dug holes in places, it was very strange – there were just big foot deep holes in places.

I went to Kroger’s to get some groceries-the photo is what I saw next to the parking garage. The water came up so fast it pitched this car off of the top of the parking garage.

I hope that this garden area can get established this year. I hate to think that next is locusts or some type of plague. I feel like Scarlett in “Gone with the Wind” – “As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again”. I’m going to be standing out in the middle of this area with a trowel in one hand, shaking my fist at the sky and shouting “ As God is my witness, I will have plants in this garden.”