Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Viburnum - Best place to order?, 0 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: Viburnum - Best place to order?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Viburnum - Best place to order?
ViburnumValley wrote:
A few recommendations:

One: I'll be really surprised if you can hide your plants from your pollinators - but you can try.

Two: Of all the Linden Viburnum, I think you've picked the poorest performer. If you are going to install that many plants, you really should have 'Asian Beauty', 'Catskill', 'Erie', and 'Iroquois' before buying Cardinal Candy™. Your birds will thank you - and you can also compare production for yourself. 'Michael Dodge' provides yellow fruit.

The image I'm attaching will show a great range of this wonderful shrub - Cardinal Candy™ is toward the right and rear with the clumps of fruit on the tips. Every other Linden Viburnum in the mass planting surpasses it (besides CC, represented are 'Iroquois', 'Erie', 'Asian Beauty', and 'Oneida').

Three: 'Winterthur' will need a pollinating partner; V. nudum 'Brandywine' should be easy to locate.

Four: Another lead balloon - there are many many many higher performers than BM, but it has a cute name. You will at least need to provide a pollinating partner for it as well. Look for overachievers like Crimson Tide™ and Cardinal™.

Some others you should add - for variety, toughness, extent of bloom time, fall color, evergreen-ness, etc...

**Viburnum x pragense

**Viburnum x 'Conoy'

**Viburnum cassinoides (sometimes called V. nudum var. cassinoides) and clones

**Viburnum x burkwoodii and clones, especially 'Mohawk'

**Viburnum x 'Cayuga'

**Viburnum x juddii

**Viburnum sargentii and clones

**Viburnum sieboldii and clones

**Viburnum prunifolium and clones

**Viburnum rufidulum and clones

You can never have too many viburnums (even if some are underachievers).