Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Need advice on transplanting large weeping conifers, 0 by dbsmith2

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright dbsmith2

In reply to: Need advice on transplanting large weeping conifers

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Need advice on transplanting large weeping conifers
dbsmith2 wrote:
The contractor that is installing the retaining wall on the property is removing all the plants from the property line. I'm paying him extra to remove the 2 weepers carefully and burlap the rootballs. I'm going to be there, hopefully with my husband or one of the guys I work with to make sure everything is done correctly. Since the contractor has to dig out the entire back of the property, I assume he'll contact the Dig Safely hotline - or he will hit utilities. That will be his responsibility luckily, not mine.

Question for growin on the twine. How are you securing the vertical lines for the others to zigzag between? I'll put heavy duty cardboard on the trunk, and as stupid as it sounds, I'm going to bubble wrap and burlap the top of the trees in case they get hit while being dug. The rootball is the wild card here. We may have to dig the holes here after we get home and see how big the rootball is. Looking at the links you posted, we don't want a deep hole or the tree will sink.

This is just a crapshoot. I'll never find trees this large for sale at a nursery. If they die, it's not a huge amount invested. If they live, I've got some really nice specimen trees. And I love conifers, as you can tell by my conifer garden (this is a few years ago when it was just being installed: