Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Aesculus pavia from Forest Farm Still Hasn't Flowered, 0 by Meredith79

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Meredith79

Subject: Aesculus pavia from Forest Farm Still Hasn't Flowered

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Aesculus pavia from Forest Farm Still Hasn't Flowered
Meredith79 wrote:
I could have sworn I posted a question here about this tree back in 2006, but I can't seem to find it.
In 2006, I ordered a Red Buckeye from Forest Farm. It has been planted ever since and has gotten quite a bit larger. It is at least 6' tall this year. My problem is that it has never flowered, now I know peoples first guess is too much shade, fertilizer or tree is not old enough. However I have seen 1 year old seedling Red Buckeyes with a bloom on them and the tree is planted where it gets morning sun and then filtered sun from Pines and Oaks which from my internet searches seems to be similar to it's natural habitat, and all references say it will flower sparsely even in dense shade. I definitely don't over fertilize it. So I am now convinced that this is not an Aesculus pavia after all. I think Forest Farm sold me an Aesculus glabra because it looks the most similar to a A. pavia and I read a comment in the plant files that someone has a 9 year old tree that has never flowered. At one point I e-mailed Forest Farm, asking them for suggestions as to why it would not have flowered yet and they ignored my e-mail. I was just looking at their website and they claim that they guarantee their plants are true to name, however I wonder whether or not they will honor that years later and how I can prove it. There is really no way for me to know for sure until it flowers, and apparently that could take longer than 9 years to happen if it is an A. glabra. Plus, I do not want a huge Aesculus glabra in my yard and will have to remove it if that is what it ends up being. I will be really irritated to have to remove a tree and start over after waiting 4 years to enjoy a Red Buckeye! Here it is now showing no signs of flowers yet another spring!

This message was edited Apr 11, 2010 10:44 AM