Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Squirells and chipmunks, 0 by KaylyRed

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright KaylyRed

In reply to: Squirells and chipmunks

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Squirells and chipmunks
KaylyRed wrote:
Chipmunks were the bane of my gardening existence last year. I'm hoping that the fact we now have a very active shiba inu puppy will deter them this year. We have two adult (rescued) greyhounds, and they caught a chipmunk last year, but that didn't stop more from invading my gardening space. The puppy, however, is a lot busier than the greyhounds (who are mostly lazy), and I think he might be a force to be reckoned with. We'll see! Maybe Toshi (the puppy) will become the official Defender of the Backyard.

Of course, he wreaks some havoc on the garden all on his own, too. *sigh*

Here's a picture of our greyhound, Ella, with a chipmunk the hounds caught last year. She was clearly embarrassed to have this fuzzy rodent in her mouth, but she still couldn't resist the temptation. The dogs didn't kill the chipmunk, but they did hurt it enough that it stumbled out of the yard and was taken away by the local hawk. I'm not sure I could have done the job of ending the poor creature's suffering myself, so I was glad the hawk took care of business for me. I certainly don't like seeing animals getting hurt, but this was nature doing what nature does.