Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Annuals: HOW TO?, 0 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: HOW TO?

Forum: Annuals

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of HOW TO?
wrote:
Daniel,
Where did you get the seeds of Purple Ballerina from? If the seeds you purchased were gathered from an open pollinated plant that may be the reason. Daturas do not come true from seeds if you grow more than one cultivar at the same time because Ballerina is a hybrid. I bought my seeds from Parks seed company and no problem setting seeds.

I have not sowed those seeds from the original plant but would not expect to get the same since I grew the white one at the same time. This was years ago before I knew that they cross pollinate.

Bugs would not interfere with seed setting. I think it is in the chromosomes. Spraying won't accomplish anything either. Actually it would dampen the pollen, which may not help.

I grow 3 different cultivars of Datura, but not during the same season when I need seeds. My daughter grows the white Datura inoxia for me since that is her favorite.

Here is a link to carry over Daturas during the winter. It is from my own experience.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1051779/