Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: When do you start lettuce?, 0 by docgipe

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright docgipe

In reply to: When do you start lettuce?

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of When do you start lettuce?
docgipe wrote:
Tomorrow I will treat all my potting soil and the small bit of open garden soil to a large application of aerobic manure and worm cast based tea. I will do this again on April 15th and again on May the first. I will continue weekly as the few plants I have grow.
All plantings will be mulched including the potted plants to prevent up splash while providing more even temperature and moisture. Mycorrhizae (endo type) will be supporting all plantings. The natural biology of the soil will be maximized as will the occupational theory on all plant parts above the ground. The practical occupation of living biology on the plants will prevent the bad pathogens from getting a foothold. It is the only method of control that grows with the emergence of new plant parts.

I will use my normal amounts of fertilizer and other amendments to support the biology applied. I will have maximum biological expansion in seventy six degree liquid by 8AM tomorrow AM. The brew was started at 6PM this evening. The light foam you see is the beginning of the bloom we can see as the critters expand into horrific numbers. In lay language that foam is critter barf. The liquor has an earthy smell. At perfect peak the maximum expansion will show the largest head of foam. When it begins to recede is the time to make the application. Some might say an application made this early will be slow to begin working. They would be correct but if ever we needed strong soil this is one of the years because of the fungi attacks last summer. Cost of production exclusive of my free labor and a bit of electric is about fifteen cents a gallon. It's OK to waste. If the critters freeze out they become part of the stronger soil by yielding their bodies some fifty million of them in a single grain of soil.