Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Any suggestions for plant selection around water fountain, 0 by greatswede

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright greatswede

Subject: Any suggestions for plant selection around water fountain

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Any suggestions for plant selection around water fountain
greatswede wrote:
UPDATE.

I live in Lincoln, CA , zone 9B. In this photo can be seen the water fountain surrounded by star jasmine, and backed by a Crape Myrtle and two Camellias.

This plan sounded good but the results are disappointing. The soil is heavy clay, the summers are hot (over 100°F) and the winters get frost. The plants are in full sun! The Crape Myrtle is the 'Natchez, which is supposed to grow fast and give me the shade I need. Hasn't grown exactly fast, slow might be more accurate! The Star Jasmine suffers from winter frost but does come back.

I would like to replace the Camellia directly behind the Crape Myrtle because it looks sick with small black spots on the light green leaves. The other Camellia has dark green leaves but itsn't exactly show quality.

Any suggestions? I've seen some beautiful gardens on this web site but none showing my situation. The plant I need behind the fountain, replacing the one Camellia needs to grow no higher than 6 feet. And I want some contrast! I think a Japanese Maple like 'Bloodgood would look nice if I can keep it from getting too tall. How does it take to being pruned for heighth?

This message was edited Jun 5, 2010 10:47 AM