Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Flying Aphids?, 0 by PDXpilot

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright PDXpilot

Subject: Flying Aphids?

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Flying Aphids?
PDXpilot wrote:
I made a rookie mistake this past winter when I brought in several plants into the house to overwinter them: I didn't rid them of pests first. OK, lesson learned. Unfortunately, it's too early to put them back outside without killing them. So I'm stuck with damage control.

My boyfriend and I disagree on what is infesting my plants. I have no doubt that the wingless little buggers (yes, I punned) in the attached picture are aphids. He agrees. But I've read that there are flying species of aphids. I think that is what I have. He thinks that I have two separate species: the aphids and a harmless black fly.

Any thoughts? If you can identify my pests, can you suggest a way to get rid of them. I've tried pyrethrin and soapy water. I also have yellow sticky traps up to get some of them. I'm cloning my fuchsias and starting many new plants from seed. They're very vulnerable and I'm in a take no prisoners mood. I'd like to avoid harsh chemicals since these plants are in my home.