Communities > Forums

Image Copyright amethystsm

Subject: daylily daycare

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of daylily daycare
amethystsm wrote:
Hi y'all!
Haven't been dropping in too often lately (i li\urk around the edges on occasion), but where else do i turn with this kind of question..?

Eric and i will be moving soon (ihope). We are not sure where to, we're exploring a couple of options. (Maybe St Louis, maybe NJ, maybe... anywhere i can find a job?)

It hurts me to leave all my plants behind here. I had planned on digging up a few early in the fall to see if someone would like to foster them. Then, next spring (or even the following spring if we end up somewhere with no garden space for a year) they could send me back part of it, and keep part too. (Really this is about my 'Sir Modred' daylily, which i am a little too attached to, but also a 'Luxury Lace' from Pixie - and a few others from Pixie and Thom, and some of my dianthus, particularly 'Firewitch'.)

In early October a tragic event derailed many things in life. i haven't had much heart for winterizing things, since i'm doing no planting, and knowing i won't be here to see the garden wake up in the spring. (It was a little too much of a reminder of someone else i won't see wake up again either). But that is neither here nor there.

The real questions are: can i still dig up my daylilies? (We've only had a couple of freezes here, enough to kill off cosmos, zinnias, and dahlias; but not enough to freeze the ground.) and: is there anyone you can think of who might take them on? Would someone here in z6 be able to do anything with them? i'd also be willing to ship them off to a southerly vacation, but i don't know who to ask.
Thank you for any help...

amy