Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: plastic greenhouse - clear or opaque best for winter sun, 0 by curvesarein

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright curvesarein

In reply to: plastic greenhouse - clear or opaque best for winter sun

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of plastic greenhouse - clear or opaque best for winter sun
curvesarein wrote:
I'm glad you posted as we are in the process of building that greenhouse the cheapest way we can. Six by nine and one side will be my storage shed and then a door. I wanted to use the terrecotta roof in the corrogated roofing or maybe another color.
My shed is a Rubbermade and has a black roof with sky lites. When I told hubby I was moving stuff out to put my plants in he got slightly motivated to put those windows together. But we butted them up and used strips of wood to stabilize. Will have to do it on both sides. But no windows open, so that tells me I need a dutch door and a roof that has some ventilation. It only gets to freezing a month or so here. But last winter was our worst with two bad snow storms. My greenhouse will be protected from North winds by my house and is going on a wood platform that is already there. We are going to cover it with pond liner we have left over to protect the wood from spills. I'm not sure what it will look like and whether I should paint the frames white or leave the wood, it's weatherd but in good shape, but hubby thinks it is pine.
But I have lots of creative ideas if he just gets it up this weekend. I hope we have no wind. I have been working in the yard for two straight days laying some small areas of sod for my little dog near our patio and had some left over to put in my Aviary . I use it for one of my cats, she loves it out there in summer it is covered with vines. I have an old ladder I reinforced and made her a perch at the top and padded it after I discovered by accident she loves to climb ladders. I had enough sod to do the whole thing with my flagstone path back inside.
The aviary is shaped like a gazebo , maybe six feet by 9 feet tall with a dome roof.