Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Iris Order : Spring Hill vs Schreiners, 0 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: Iris Order : Spring Hill vs Schreiners

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Iris Order : Spring Hill vs Schreiners
wrote:
bonjon When you rate irises from different companies, you have to consider each variety seperately. A fair test would be to purchase the same iris from different companies, then see which one grows and blooms the best. Not all varieties bloom the first season after planting. However, I will say that Schreiners tend to do so.

I think a lot of it depends on---not the size---but the maturity of the rhizome. Even then, some will refuse to bloom the first season.

My daughter ordered plant last spring (2008) from Royal Dutch Garden. I got tempted and had her add an iris named Twice Thrilling, and 2 varieties of daylilies. B-I-G mistake. They sent the orders so late in the fall and the iris rhizome was soft and no green leaves. Her plants didn't do any better either. They did finally replace them, but with the same low quality. My iris is still struggling. Does show some green now. And, I'm not sure about the daylilies.

Another company, though ok for daylilies but not irises, is Gilbert H. Wild & Sons. I ordered daylilies in 2008 from them and they all bloomed this summer. The iris Beverly Sills is still struggling. The rhizome was small to begin with. Still not large and didn't bloom. I got tempted to order due to their sale catalog. I learned my lesson with irises. I will stick with Schreiners.

Below is another from Schreiner purchases in 2008 and bloomed this year. 'Toucan Tango' (Kasperek 2000) a beauty.