Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: How close is "near" in hollies?, 0 by HoosierGreen

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright HoosierGreen

In reply to: How close is "near" in hollies?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of How close is "near" in hollies?
HoosierGreen wrote:
I have read (somewhere) that a male holly can pollinate up to a dozen females within 30'. I usually plant one male for up to 5 or 6 females within 10' or so. What I mostly do in my landscape plans is plant the male holly within and as part of the grouping of females. Since the two sexes are pretty much indistinguishable (except for the presence of berries), I put the male to the back of the grouping. When I can, I use a smaller male plant. Best is to plant some one-gallon males every 5' or 6', even sharing the planting holes with a female (cozy!). Some gardeners believe that the male hollies grow quicker and thicker than the females, but I haven't noticed any difference. Blue hollies are great garden plants, growing in full-sun to 3/4 shade in my zone (even complete shade along a north side of a building, with no overhanging trees)

You are in a good zone for growing blue hollies. However, you might consider using an anti-desiccant spray on your new plants this first winter, just to be safe.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2009 9:02 PM

This message was edited Oct 5, 2009 9:03 PM