Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Tropical Zone Gardening: Adenium, 0 by lourspolaire

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lourspolaire

In reply to: Adenium

Forum: Tropical Zone Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Adenium
lourspolaire wrote:
Hi,everyone.

Here is my adenium obesum. I was visiting a house for one of my foreign clients one day. The late owner's daughter was showing me the place. It was in a dilapidated state and I knew it wouldn't interest my client. As we made our way out, I noticed this plant sitting in a wrecked pot against the side of the house. It hadn't gotten any care in a very long time. Sitting under the eaves, I guess it hadn't received any watering in a while and forget fertilizing.

I asked the lady if she would consider selling that plant. She told me she wanted $10 for it, on account of its exotic look. I opened my wallet and (Oh shame) I only had $6 on me. She settled for $6. I picked the plant up, the pot fell apart, ants ran every which way, sandy soil sifted away. It messed up my car's trunk and my clothes. I was flat broke, dirty and happy. Now, that's a sure sign of a plant addict.

When I brought it home, Gail thought I was crazy to have purchased such an unsightly thing. It rewarded me for rescuing it by losing almost all its leaves. For a while there, I thought I would lose it entirely. I gave it fertilizer, regular watering and I waved a silk flower stalk from the dollar store over it, informing it that it could be replaced with a silk flower any time I felt like it. It perked right up, sent out new shoots and new leaves. I repotted it and even Gail is warming up to its exotic look.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.