Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Salvia involucrata tbd, 0 by jimcrick

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright jimcrick

Subject: Salvia involucrata tbd

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Salvia involucrata tbd
jimcrick wrote:
Some time back in the last century, I was browsing amongst the salvias of a well-known nurseryman and spotted an unlabeled involucrata that was significantly different from those I was already familiar with - Bethellii, Hadspen, Boutin. On enquiring of the man he confidently named it as Bethellii. Although I pointed out it was nothing like the Bethellii I knew, having no sign of the very round terminal bud cluster, he remained adamant about it's pedigree.

I bought the plant anyway and it has proved to be a very successful purchase. Compared to Bethellii, it has turned out to be more hardy, more vigorous, more early to flower, resistant to spider-mite (which often totally decimate my Bethellii). It has leaves which are slightly more fleshy than Bethellii and somewhat greyish-green. In the pic there is a Hadspen in the background just infront of the guaranitica. This shows the somewhat more green leaf typical of it and Bethellii.

I have seen a similar plant to it at Wisley RHS Gardens and it was labeled as S.involucrata var. involucrata and so it is possible that my plant is infact the type plant. Whatever, if you get a chance to buy one that looks like mine, don't hesitate.

Jim