Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Hoshi no flamenco, red clem discussion deepens, 0 by Sharkey

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Sharkey

In reply to: Hoshi no flamenco, red clem discussion deepens

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Hoshi no flamenco, red clem discussion deepens
Sharkey wrote:
BG, I clicked your link and I'm amazed at what you have done with your records. I set up an Excel spreadsheet a few months ago where I keep up with clem, date and place of purchase, attributes, where planted, and so forth, but I should have used the DG resource instead. Good job! I can tell you are a very organized person. I love the way you are including a photo as they bloom for you.

Are your dark colored ones in full sun as well? Those are the ones that tend to go limp during the heat here during the day. That's encouraging to hear that yours are doing well in this weather. I won't worry quite as much about planting mine on the west side now.

I love your 1 thru 4 ranking system, Guru. Since we're on that subject, here is a photo of one of my liners that are still in one-gallon pots. These were purchased first week of June at Lowe's and I completely trimmed them back. As you can see they are all about 4 ft. tall now and since this photo was taken on July 30, most now have blooms. I would not have let them bloom had I not already pruned them severely one time. This is one of my favorites, VDL. Some were not identified, or I feared mis-tagged, so another reason to let them bloom.

Guru, do you only use this ranking if they are planted in the ground, or could we rank these while they are still in the pots? Some have multiple stems and some have one. But, overall, they are very happy little plants right now. Hopefully, this fall some of them will have a home in the ground.

BG, you are right about testing this out this winter. We had an unusually cold winter last yr in my opinion and I'm ready for another one after this horrible summer weather we've had. As I said before, I think we will both know more this time next year about our little clem experiment. But, I'm a positive thinker and an optimist, so I just know we are both going to be successful overall!!