Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Somebody Just Shoot Me!, 0 by lovelyiris

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lovelyiris

Subject: Somebody Just Shoot Me!

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Somebody Just Shoot Me!
lovelyiris wrote:
As many of you know I tried to finish up my trading and so forth before it got so dad-burn hot here in East Texas. The end of June was my deadline because July and August is always a killer to be trying to work in your yard, flowerbeds, gardens, and so forth. I know you've seen the weather and how bad things are here.

Anyway, 2 weeks ago I received a box full of WONDERFUL IRISES from someone I had forgot about wanting to trade with. Thank you so much for sending your end of the trade! I came out like a bandit on my end. I just finished getting them all planted this past weekend. I'm still working to get them their irises as I can't take the heat at all. I nearly passed out while trying to dig them this past Monday. I was worried about having a heat stroke or something even worse like a heart attack. I'm praying for some cooler weather later in the week to finish digging their end of the trade.

Today the mail lady brought me another HUGE Box. I knew it had to be more irises as that's about all I ever get. I just wanted to SCREAM. It's too hot! How in the world am I going to get all the irises in that box planted in the next week? I had forgotton that I ordered like 50 some odd irises from Greenhorn Valley Irises when they had them on sale for around $2 the first part of Spring. I was very pleased with the size, most were huge and the packing was great too. Have any of you ever ordered from them?

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I love adding new plants/irises to my collection. But sometimes I forget things like this and then I'm in a pickle to find a place that 's not already running over with irises. I can plant them on the hill I'm making but they will not receive as much water in the dry months when they need it once a week or so. (arghhhhhh) I can add them to the beds in the front but I'd have to till another row and make it that much wider for the irises and the bermuda grass (LOL) FROWN.

I'm thinking my best bet would be to plant these suckers in pots and then plant them in the ground in October when it's much cooler. What do you guys think? Even that will be alot of work for me. But at least I could do about 10-15 a day until they are all in pots. I'm thinking it would only take me about 45 minutes a day that way and that's if my body can take the heat for that long. At least I can do all that in the shade. I can make the labels in the house where it's nice and COOL! Shoot, I may get one of those plastic drop cloths and bring the pots into the kitchen along with the dirt and do all the stuff in the house. Hey, I maybe onto something there. Then I'll just wad up the drop cloth and toss it in the trash. I wonder if that would work?

Let me know what other suggestions and so forth you all would do if you were in this sutuation.
Best Regards and Happy Gardening, Marian

Oh, I forgot to mention that we're having our meeting Monday to purchase irises from a couple of Hybridizers that our club purchased them from. As members we get VERY GOOD deals for new irises. Should I miss the meeting or go and purchase as many as I get the opportunity to buy. LOL

Somebody help me, I have Iris-itis and I can't beat it. Gotta have more, always need more, it's too good of a deal not to buy the newer plants, yadda yadda yadda.