Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Growing Potatoes in tires - A Complete Disaster!, 0 by Weezingreens

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Weezingreens

In reply to: Growing Potatoes in tires - A Complete Disaster!

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Growing Potatoes in tires - A Complete Disaster!
Weezingreens wrote:
Picturelady: Rather than 'reseeding', I think you are missing a few little fellows when you dig, and they are sprouting to produce your next crop. I can see no reason why leaving a few potatoes for the next crop is a problem.

Certified seed potatoes are tested for diseases, and that is the main reason to used them, as far as I know. Here in Alaska, we have been relatively free of potato blight, etc, so the Cooperative Extension highly recommends buying certified seed potatoes rather than using sprouting potatoes from the grocery that may come from out of state.

A common problem with potatoes in our area, due to the excess rainfall, I imagine, is scabbing. I grow my potatoes in barrels, and if they have scab, I not only don't use any of those potatoes as seed potatoes, but I do not use the same soil for potatoes the next year. If your potatoes are healthy, using offspring for seed potatoes should be fine.