Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Mamaaaaaaa!, 0 by DaylilyDiva219

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DaylilyDiva219

In reply to: Mamaaaaaaa!

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Mamaaaaaaa!
DaylilyDiva219 wrote:
Thanks all for the comments - it was an amazing sight!

Doc, Holly & Sally,

Glad you all enjoyed the photo. I was so glad to be sitting near a window when they visited! We live in a very wooded area just outside DC proper, with lots of old trees , so we do get to hear and see them on a fairly regular basis. But this was the first time (in almost 25 years) that we got to see a parent with a baby. I have been leaving my suet feeder out during the summer for the last couple of years now, and it's been incredibly rewarding - the catbirds are very regular visitors, as are the downy, hairy and red-bellied woodpeckers, in addition to wrens, chickadees, titmice and nuthatches. They seem to come especially frequently when they have babies to feed. My feeder is actually a regular sized one (square) so I was very surprised that the Pileated would make the effort to hang onto it when it visited!

Here's another shot of the parent nosing around a birdhouse on a nearby tree. He/she was really interested in the opening. ;-) That's about as far as it got though. Maybe it thought there was food inside there too? Whatever was going on, it was really entertaining!