Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #37, 0 by tabasco

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tabasco

In reply to: Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #37

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Cottage Garden Seed Swap & Chat #37
tabasco wrote:
Beatuiful photos, tcs. Things are really starting to pop! Love your 'tossed' seed garden! You have the touch!

LeBug, my purple milkweed didn't make it, so I started a new batch and they are still small. If you find yourself with extra seeds on that one, I'd love a few. I think if I can get the purple going here it would be fabulous! I have loads of all kinds of fresh native seeds from Everwilde that I could trade you for. Or whatever you would like.

I have a number of great spangled fritillaries flying around the monarda and coneflowers and swamp milkweeds today. First sunny day we've had for a while. And I had about a dozen cabbage white bf which were really cute (but I know many gardeners hate those things). But no swallowtails to speak of yet this summer (maybe 5 or 6 altogether~~~ zebra, black, tiger, and giant) Did have a mourning cloak or two. I think it's a touch early for the butterfly onslaught, but it certainly does seem slow to me too. (I feel a little silly having planted tons of flowers specifically for the BFs and they aren't showing up to the party!) Oh, well. I posted on the Ohio Lepidopterist List asking about the dates for butterfly flights in Cincy, so maybe I'll have an update for you.

Did I mention that I lost my mind and ordered 36 Liatris ligulystylus plants from Prairie Moon nursery. They're supposed to be shipped 6/13. They are for the monarchs.

Here's a shot of our butterfly nectar garden: