Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: My Maine "Vacation", 0 by rcn48

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright rcn48

In reply to: My Maine "Vacation"

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My Maine "Vacation"
rcn48 wrote:
Okay, well that one finally went through, let's try for a few more! Back at the east corner looking a little closer at the beds, you can see the problems they had been having with the soil splashing up on the boards under the front porch. One of our first projects before planting was to lay groundcloth and line the edges with drainage rock to prevent the splashing. Unfortunately we didn't lay enough rocks in this corner :(

Left arrow is another Oakleaf Hydrangea, again growing to about 6'-8', so it will fill the corner in a few years. The next arrow and the one on the far right are Giant Solomon's Seal, which I brought with me from Maine when I moved. The original plants from my garden in Maine used to be 4' tall! I dug them from the gardens before leaving and brought a few divisions to return them to Maine :) The other arrow points to another shrub, 'Summer Wine' Ninebark (Physocarpus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/65483/) which is a supposed to be a more compact form of the purple foliage form 'Diablo'. It's small right now but should be about 4'-6' within a couple of years. Also, I'm already forgetting, but I think there's a variegated Weigela planted along the edge between the Hydrangea and Ninebark as well as the beginning of the Hosta border!