Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Could use some advice, 0 by ClematisGuru

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ClematisGuru

In reply to: Could use some advice

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Could use some advice
ClematisGuru wrote:
i would add more height it can climb on. this clem needs a lot of sun so the under areas as it folds over will not be attractive underneath, plus, as you pointed out it is very vigorous...very nice plant! i have seen heavy string, or bamboo canes being taken up from the trellis, maybe at angles outward and upward to spread out the plant....you can train it around that window and up up up.

you can also consider wider trellising from the ground and in the spring when the plants breaks dormancy train the vines way out to the sides from the beginning....this way you can get a lot more coverage as a backdrop to the other plants and have max impact to the blooms. i would do both, go wider and more height. if you can only do one next year, go wider first..you can get a lot of wingspan out of that clem if you train it that way.
this looks a lot like etoile rose (the blooms). etoile rose has a more distinctive outer white margin on the pink bloom, duchess of albany is a white outer margin but more diffused and less precise. i am surprised how similar they are, you are sure yours is a duchess of albany vs etoile rose? not that it matters, they are very similar clems that's all. texensis do well there if that one has been in 2 years,that is really good!, you can add a gravetye beauty, which more people should grow, it is a beautiful tulip shaped deep red texensis....many possibilities. here is etoile rose and prince charles so you can see how similar the flowers are. also check out both on COTW! happy clemming.....great result for 2 years.....just fabulous really.