Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: What pest is feasting on my Hagley Hybrid?, 0 by MTnic

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MTnic

Subject: What pest is feasting on my Hagley Hybrid?

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What pest is feasting on my Hagley Hybrid?
MTnic wrote:
This morning, before the sun was even up, I went out with a flashlight with intentions of catching whatever pest has eaten my trumpetvines down to the ground- as well as my scarlet runner beans (planted four times already), echinacea, and my mystery clems. The clems damage is pretty minimal so far, but I'm finding more and more holes every day. I brought my daughter out with me because I freak out thinking of infestations and I give her a quarter/slug. That excites her considering the number I was catching in my Guinness slug traps each night- she had visions of wealth. Turns out, we couldn't find ONE slug. I found only one in my beer traps this morning and it appeared to be a baby. The Sluggo must be working. Anyway, as we were inspecting the infected plants, my daughter said "no slugs, only roly-polys. I always thought roly-poly was just a kid name for caterpillar. Turns out, I'm pretty far off. Anyway, I found several earwigs (YIKES), about a thousand roly-polys (although ALL were on the ground beneath the plants, none on them), and the only pest I spotted actually on a plant was something I can only describe as a tiny yet long mosquito. So, by now; the sun is up- I notice my Hagley Hybrid has some issues- big half-circle holes around the margins of the sepals. The other pest damage is almost solely to the inside of the plant's leaves or sepals- none are around the margins like that. The only other plants in my yard with similar damage are peonies. Does this sort of damage look familiar to anyone? There is no damage near the bottom of the plant either. This is at the very top of the vine which is wrapped around the railing of my deck.