Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Plum Tree causing problems?, 0 by Jeannie63

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Jeannie63

Subject: Plum Tree causing problems?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Plum Tree causing problems?
Jeannie63 wrote:
I have an 'ornamental' plum tree growing in my patio (not sure of the exact name/species as it was here when I moved in). Outside of the patio, on the other side of a fence, is a raised garden. I am having problems over-wintering anything in the area of the raised garden immediately on the other side of the plum tree.

Two years ago, I dug everything out of the raised garden, ammended the soil with peat, sand, and compost, and planted tulips and daffodils. The next spring, all the bulbs came up and flowered, except in a 2' area directly opposite the plum tree in the patio.

Last year, I planted hollyhocks all along the back edge of the raised garden, next to the fence. Again, most of them came back this year except in that same 2' area directly opposite the plum tree in the patio.

I have no problems growing annuals in that area - they thrive and grow just as well as in the rest of the raised garden.

Has anyone ever had problems growing plants near a plum tree? Can you offer any explanations, or solutions?

Thanks!
Jeannie