Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Taming the wisteria, 0 by miatablu

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright miatablu

In reply to: Taming the wisteria

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Taming the wisteria
miatablu wrote:
Here's my American Wisteria 'Amethyst Falls' that I put in a barrel as a tree on my deck. I'd always wanted a wisteria, but knew how much they can take over. There was one that was trained into a tree form that I use to admire that I passed by every day when I lived in Frederick. So I found the American Wisteria which is smaller so more suited to a container. The blooms are a little shorter but very pretty. It also blooms twice a year, though the second blooms are smaller. I planted this in 2006 from a nursery plant that was about 4' tall. Bloomed the first year after I planted it. It's never been repotted. Use to put plants around the bottom, but it's a little rootbound for that now. Now the drawback. As I disclosed to everyone at the swap last week when I brought cuttings, the blooms stink when they fade! But I still like it. Hoping in the future for a nice thick trunk. Right now I tie it to the deck rail to keep it straight up. Here's a link to my journal with a few bloom pictures. http://davesgarden.com/tools/journal/viewentry.php?rid=12920...