Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: My "crippled" Tomatoe Seedlings...., 0 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

Subject: My "crippled" Tomatoe Seedlings....

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My "crippled" Tomatoe Seedlings....
Gitagal wrote:
I posted this on the Tomato Forum within someone elses Post who is also having issues with the Tomatoes.....

Gonna ask your opinions here as well...

I KNOW i am not the only one this year that is having problems with seedlings just staying minute! All kinds of seedlings!!!! Sowed them all same as last year! Under the same lights! My Daturas. My Basil. My whatever else--all seem to be lagging behind...Can't even consider planting them in beds yet--as most of my seedlings are only 1"-2" tall at this point...

BUT-----My concern is my Tomato seedlings--and maybe some of you might have some EDUCATED guesses as to what is wrong with them....

The Tomatoes were all sowed on March 23. Cherokee Purple, Sun Gold, and Potato Top. The only ones that have done well are my Mortgage Lifters. They are already in 4" pots--even though they are also so much smaller than last year.
The daturas and Basils and all the rest were sowed on March 13.

Last year--I sowed my Tomatoes on march 1st--and they simply grew too large too soon. Planted them in the bed the 3rd week of April--keeping my fingers crossed--and they were already 10"-12" tall...They barely fit under a 5gal. bucket the ONE night it was a bit too cold and i covered them with the buckets...
So--I thought this year, i would wait a couple of weeks as I was too early last year.

I have not done anything "weird" to these tomatoes. have not fertilized...have sprayed the seedlings once or maybe twice with water with H2O2 in it...That's all! I have a 10oz spray bottle and I added maybe 1/4tsp of H2O2 to it....

Here are 3 of the cell packs...The seedlings look almost "crippled"---hardly any true leaves on them yet! They have been outside in filtered light now for quite a while--and nothing is changing....
I almost think they are all a lost cause.....Waiting for Carolyn to chime in on the Tomato Forum....Whatever she says--goes!

These are the 3 cell packs of Cherokee Purple, Sun Golds and the Potato Tops.....
YUK!