Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: 50+YO Modesto Ash trunk splitting?, 0 by Twincol

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Twincol

In reply to: 50+YO Modesto Ash trunk splitting?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of 50+YO Modesto Ash trunk splitting?
Twincol wrote:
Hello, Brian, you are kind to respond to my questions. Especially as you start by highlighting my greatest sadness about the possible loss of this tree. This is probably the last of the older trees in my neighborhood. I lost one, I think I mention, probably nearly 30 years ago under similar circumstances. It rested between two similar aged Fruitless Mulberries, which I still have and am loathe to consider losing under any circumstances. The good and the bad news about the Mulberries is that they are mine, owned by the homeowner. They have pruned one of them closest to the curb in years past, as it threatened their property and the continually dropping skirt beats up their city-owned refuse trucks. More recently they have refused to prune it, stating that it is a cultivar they have never planted, thus it is not theirs and is my responsibility. Well, you get the drift.

The tree mentioned here is a city-owned tree in a city-owned parking strip. You can see numerous photos I've submitted to the PlantFiles at http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/61027/ The trunk is, if I recall correctly, 8 feet around. If I wanted it cut down for "whatever" they would not do so. When it needs pruning and I ask to have it pruned, they add it to the end of their lengthy to-do list. If I were to mention that it is at risk of falling apart they would be out here tomorrow, cut it down, grind the stump out, and come back in several weeks with a replacement. Bolt it? Not in your dreams! They would never consider doing such work. Given the disease status of the trees I'm wondering if it would pay to do so, in any event, although it seems to be healthy, except for the obviously rotting wounds from the broken limbs (rotted at the time of the break, BTW, which is telling). I haven't a clue as to the lifeline of this tree, BTW. Do they live to be 75 years old?

The tree lover in me contemplates simply having an arborist come out and do the work for me on The City's tree, sly dog that I am. But if it has only another 5 years of life remaining I question the financial wisdom of doing that. Ditto the trimming of major branches, but there are only 3 remaining, as I recall (it's nighttime and dark out). They did come out two years ago and tip off the limbs which were spreading out, which does speak to the possibility that they observed the trunk damage, doesn't it? I'll include a snapshot of the nearby Modesto ash and cherry so you can see the shabby work they can do. Both of these trees were trimmed in 2007 and this is the second summer since that trimming. What a dreadful outcome for the work they doubtless had the best of intentions for. Although my own tree was trimmed at the same time and the outcome may simply speak to the overall health of the specimens, eh?

Here's a pic of the neighboring tree in November last year. My own tree at that time would have been in full green leaf, BTW, as they lose their leaves quite late. Note that they pruned out a single major limb some years ago and it's silhouette is a tad quirky. So you see the best of the best for it last year. We are once again in full leaf and the tree looks little better this season. Note, if you will, that the trunk of this tree is probably half the dimensions of mine, despite their being the same age. So, again, it would seem that this little specimen never really "took off," as it were.

Thanks agan,
Linda