Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Garden Pests and Diseases: Diseased pea plants?, 0 by Megann

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Megann

Subject: Diseased pea plants?

Forum: Garden Pests and Diseases

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Diseased pea plants?
Megann wrote:
Ok... this started within the past couple days:

-Noticed that the small, undeveloped leaves are curling around the edges.
-A couple of the plants appear to have mildew/mold on the leaves.
-At the very bottom, underneath most of the plants are parts that appear dead... yellowed, crispy leaves, etc. I figured it was because it's not getting any sun (they are completely shaded underneath all the upper leaves).
-Pea pods started appearing 2-3 weeks ago. The first few were fine, plump, etc., but everything on the plant now is growing abnormally - Only a couple peas in each pod appear to be growing, giving the pods a weird bulged look.

Other weird things about this plant...
-it's Progress #9 variety, supposed to take only 58 days. The plants were planted from seed almost 90 days ago, so they have been growing VERY slowly.
-Seed pack said they get to be about 18" tall - about half the plants are between three and four feet high.
-Each pod, once the flower drops and it develops, is VERY slow to grow, and they don't seem to get longer than three inches (seed packet said they're five inch pods).
-Holes are appearing in the leaves.. they're definitely getting munched on by something.

They are planted next to bush beans (currently harvesting), carrots, spinach (now gone), oregano and rosemary.
Any ideas?? After googling around I'm afraid of Fusarium Wilt.. I dont want to jump to conclusions though.

Here's a shot of the "dead" looking parts of the plant: